Seek Professional Help for Grief
One should know when to seek professional help for grief. While it’s ok to feel sad, numb, or angry following a loss, but if these emotions refuse to go away with time, or get even more intense, it may be a sign that your sorrow and grief on losing someone has developed into a graver problem. You need professional help for grief then.
One should immediately seek professional help for grief if you find it difficult to move forward in life. Such complicated grief or major depressions need professional help. Some symptoms of complicated grief are if the sadness of losing someone you love has never gone away completely. If the pain of the loss remains constant and gets so severe that it keeps you from restarting your life, then understand that you are experiencing a complicated grief. It is like being stuck in an intense state of mourning for always.
Seek professional help for grief as soon as possible when:
• You have strong longing and ache for the deceased
• You have disturbing thoughts or images of your loved one
• You are still in the stage of denial of the death
• You imagine that your loved one is alive
• You search for the person in familiar places
• You avoid things or situations that remind you of your loved one
• You nurse extreme anger or bitterness over the loss
• You feel your life is empty or meaningless
It is often not easy to distinguish between grief and depression, as both share common symptoms. However, there is a thin line between them and there are ways to differentiate.
Remember, the grief on losing someone can be an emotional roller coaster. Involving a wide variety of emotions, one can often find moments of happiness in the middle of the grieving process. Seek professional help for grief if the need arises.